Nothing wakes you up in the morning like a cup of coffee and nothing makes dealing with the kids screaming at 7 AM or the thought of going to work less brutal than a nice cup of coffee! The problem with coffee is that it can stain really bad if you have a bit of a spill.
When you drink as much coffee as I do, coffee stains on the carpet are a real cause for concern, but today I have for you some excellent tips on how to get coffee stains out of your carpet.
If You Spill Coffee, Strike Fast!
Like dealing with stains on clothes or any other kind of fabric, getting to the spill as early as possible gives you the best chance of cleaning it off. Not only that, it is much, much easier to get a coffee stain out of the carpet when it is relatively fresh. So if you spill some coffee, do not leave it till later! Try and get to it right away.
What You Need To Clean Coffee Stains Out Of Carpet
Here are a few basic supplies that are perfect for helping you get your morning coffee out of your carpet.
How To Remove A Fresh Coffee Stain Out Of Carpet
If you have a spill and can get to it right away, this is how you are going to want to tackle it.
- Using a clean cloth or towel, blot up as much of the coffee as possible. Use a clean section of the towel or cloth each time and work from the outside in. Coffee stains can spread like wildfire, going from outside to in prevents this. Also, make sure you only blot, never scrub.
- Once you are no longer getting any coffee onto your cloth or towel. Pour a little bit of cold water onto it and start to blot again. Use a clean towel to do this, not the same one you have been using to blot the pure coffee.
- Once you have blotted and no more coffee at all (even when diluted with water) is appearing on your towel, you can use your carpet stain remover to finish the job. Make sure you allow it to fully dry before deciding if you need to repeat the process again.
It is pretty easy to get rid of a fresh coffee stain, but you may need to repeat the process a couple of times.
How To Remove An Old Coffee Stain Out Of Carpet
An older coffee stain that has been there since breakfast time or even a few days can be removed, but it requires some serious elbow grease and most likely a few attempts. Repeat the steps for the fresh coffee stain removal until it has no effect….. now it is time to kick things up a notch!
- Use three little drops of your dish soap into a cup of water. Use a standard household sponge and gently work it into the carpet. Then blot it away with a fresh, clean towel. You will want to repeat this process a few times. The idea is that you use the wet sponge to give it a bit of a working over, then the dry towel to dry it off, rinse and repeat that is the key here.
- Once you have done this a few times and the coffee stain appears to be gone, you can now use your carpet cleaner to finish the job off.
How To Remove Coffee & Cream Stains
If you are like me and on occasion, you like a little (who am I kidding, a lot) of cream in your coffee, you know that spilling this on the floor is horrible. One it wastes your coffee, but two it makes an awful mess. Using the methods up above may struggle to fully get rid of a coffee and cream stain and that is because of the cream. The best way to deal with a coffee and cream stain is with an actual cleaning product.
I know that there are many different carpet cleaning products on the market, but the best thing for a stain like this is actually a carpet remover that is designed for getting rid of pet stains. These have ingredients in them that are there to break down protein-based stains and it will also help get rid of the smell of old milk and cream.
Extra Tips For Getting Coffee Stains Out Of Carpet
Here are a few extra pro tips to help you.
- No Scrubs: I know that your first instinct will be to scrub with Incredible Hulk-like strength, but all you will be doing is pressing the coffee stain deeper into the carpet fibers. This then makes it much harder to get out!
- It Needs To Be Dry: It is only natural to try to clean a coffee stain and that first attempt did not fully get rid of the stain. Before you try again, make sure the carpet is fully dry! Even if you have to turn a fan on it! The carpet being dry before you start the process is the ideal situation that you want to be in each time you tackle the stain.
- Use Non-Spill Coffee Cups: Ok so if you drop any kind of cup from a great height it is going to spill. However, I have found that since I bought coffee/drink cups that have a lid on them that my coffee spillage is pretty much nonexistent and I drink a ton of coffee. These can be purchased these days pretty cheaply and from most dollar stores so it is worth considering if you tend to spill a lot….like I do!
It is not easy to get coffee stains out of a carpet, but it is certainly something that can be done, just remember, never scrub the coffee deeper into the carpet and that it will most likely take more than one attempt to get it fully out.
GoodHouseKeeping.com TheSpruce.com HowToCleanStuff.com
Declutter your home once and for all (Even if you have no time and don't know where to begin)! Learn More.